Why Retire in Moldova?

If you are seeking a place to retire that is somewhat similar to mid-America, Moldova is it. Nestled between Romania and Ukraine down near the Black Sea, Moldova enjoys a climate of 4 distinct seasons with the side benefit of very low humidity in the Summer. Excellent air travel connections to most major European cities and train service connecting to all of Europe.
Cost of living that is about as low as you will find anywhere and a personal safety factor that is just not found anywhere else I have been.

Saturday, March 27, 2010

A Doctor Knocking at YOUR door !

One big surprise for me was how medical services are dispensed in Moldova. I have a medical insurance policy that costs me less than $100 a year. For that $100 I have unlimited doctor visits to my home. The two times I have been sick enough that I decided I should call the doctor, there was one knocking on my door in under an hour. She had with her in addition to the standard doctor's bag, a fancy little German made EKG machine. They carry a variety of medicines with them and anything you need for the first 24 hours is included. Also included in the plan is ambulance service to the hospital should that be required. Hospital expenses are obviously extra.

I have found from being here for 6 years that if you are a foreigner and need medical care, just a little extra "green" in addition to the ridiculously low costs of medical care gets you to the front of the line and first class treatment. An example of ridiculously low would be an MRI, done with one of two new OPEN MRI machines in Moldova. About $75 add a bit to that and you are in and out in a hurry. From what I have seen here, the doctors are not only very well trained, they are in medicine for the love of the job, they certainly are not in in it for the money because the average doctor would make about $1000 a month if he is lucky. Other than a little antique medical infrastructure and lack of some of the jazzy equipment we have in the states, I put routine medical care here head and shoulders above that in the states.

No comments:

Post a Comment